- 1 large savoy cabbage, cleaned, weighed approx. .25 kg
- 3 liters broth, vegetable or beef broth
- 250 g bacon in strips
- some nutmeg, grated
- 3 clove (s) garlic
- 500 g white bread or farmer`s bread from the day before
- some olive oil for the bread
- some oil for frying
- 200 g cheese, rated, e.., Middle Gouda, Gruyere
- 100 g parmesan, rated
- 40 g butter
For the spice mix:
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 clove (s)
- 4 allspice grains
- Put the spices in a tea bag, close and crush the allspice capsules with the back of the knife.
- Cut the bread into slices and toast until golden brown under the grill or in the toaster. Drizzle the hot bread slices with a little olive oil and rub in with a peeled clove of garlic.
- Cut the cleaned savoy cabbage into bite-sized pieces, removing the coarse stems. Cook with the spices in the broth for about 10 minutes, pour through a sieve, catch the broth and allow to drain. Let the spice bag steep in the broth, then remove it and dispose of it. Cheese and bacon bring some salt with them later, so carefully season the broth with salt.
- Grate and mix the cheese and parmesan.
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan or roaster and fry the bacon until crispy. Add a crushed or chopped clove of garlic and fry briefly, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the savoy cabbage and cook for 5 minutes. Rub some nutmeg over it and mix well.
- Put some broth in a saucepan or saucepan, about 1 cm high, and layer the stew in it. Start with bread, pour some cabbage mixture over it, put in the bacon, sprinkle with cheese, pour on some broth. The top layer should only be bread and cheese. Pour in enough of the hot broth that the top layer of bread is well soaked but not completely covered. Spread the butter in flakes on top. Depending on your taste, add a little salt to the broth.
- Cook at 180 ° C in a preheated oven for about 50 minutes. If the cheese browns too much, cover with aluminum foil.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?Let us know how it was!