- 280 g butter + a little for greasing the mold
- 200 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 2 tsp. vanilla sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 280 g flour + a little for the form
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 500 g pitted cherries
- 2 tbsp. l. almond petals
- powdered sugar
- a pinch of salt
- whipped cream to serve
- For Viennese Cherry Pie, remove the butter from the refrigerator beforehand and wait until it reaches room temperature, becomes soft and pliable. If you press on the oil, it loses its shape.
- Preheat oven to 175 ° C. Grease a detachable dish with high sides 26 cm in diameter with butter and sprinkle evenly with flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Put softened butter and sugar in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract or vanilla sugar and beat on high speed until the mixture turns into a light cream – light and light.
- Add one egg to the butter and beat until completely mixed into the cream. Continue adding eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a separate bowl and add to the butter and egg mixture in several steps, continuing to beat the dough on medium mixer speed.
- When the dough is ready, add the cherries to it and mix gently with a spatula. Please note that cherries should be added dry, without excess juice – blot wet with a paper towel.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan, smooth the surface with a spatula and sprinkle with almond petals. Place the Viennese cherry pie in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Check readiness with a wooden skewer.
- Remove the finished cake from the oven and cool in a baking dish on the wire rack, 30 minutes. Then transfer the pie to a platter and cool completely. Lightly sprinkle the Viennese cherry pie with icing sugar before serving. Serve with whipped cream.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?Let us know how it was!